Simulation Nodes: User Interface for Baking and Cache #107290
We have to implement the UI for baking and caching for simulation nodes. The mockup is presented as part of this task.
The "Calculate to Frame" is on top since it may need to run multiple times (e.g., you have a pre-roll, but want to see the effect in frame 100.
Cache is on its own panel to also reinforce the difference between cache (in memory) and baking (on disk).
- The "Physics" tab get renamed "Simulation and Physics"
- A "Geometry Nodes" panel is by default on top of it.
- By default the cache sub-panel is collapsed.
Note that this mockup includes also a change on how Blender shows the non-Geometry Nodes Physics information. Although related, this is to be evaluated and tackled separatedly.
A few points of artist feedback, some of these may be longer-term todos:
- Support custom external paths, in addition to auto-generated bake path based on blend file location.
- Provide overview of all caches in a scene, not just for a single object. (Turns the Physics panel from object context to scene context!)
- Determine storage of settings:
ObjectDNA: pollutes this already abused struct even more
- some new
Object: Needs allocation but is a bit more clear
NodesModifierDataper modifier settings: keeps it out of
Object, but potentially more setup for users
- Access to freeze node data from this panel in addition to node modifier caches.
@dfelinto do we also want an "on/off" button in the physics buttons for the Geometry Nodes, like for other physics systems, just for consistency? It gets messy, as there can easily be multiple GN modifiers, while all the physics sims have the
eModifierTypeFlag_Single flag set, so there is only one of each type per object.
I guess it's all temporary, so i wouldn't bother with those buttons.
@LukasTonne I don't think makes sense to have the on/off in this case.
Talking to some friends on Erindales discord server, everyone I've talked to of this patch would also like this accessible from the 3D View property shelf and/or the geometry nodes property shelf also - a bit like how shader props are also accessible in the node shelf and the property editor, or object transforms, etc.
I know this.. is bordering on feature request, but it's an observation. Ignore if anything.
The UI is considered final for 3.6. We will have community task for the remaining parts:
- List how many frames/MB the cache or bake is taking.
No due date set.
No dependencies set.
Deleting a branch is permanent. Although the deleted branch may continue to exist for a short time before it actually gets removed, it CANNOT be undone in most cases. Continue?