Asset System: Remove asset handle #108806
AssetHandle is temporary design. It was used to abstract away the fact that all asset data is just stored in a file entry (
FileDirEntry). It was also used as a type that could populate an RNA collection for the asset-view template. Asset handle was also a volatile type, that was tied to the file browser caching and could be freed by it at any time (although not asynchronously at least).
AssetRepresentation was introduced, to hold all asset information, managed by the asset system storage. See https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Source/Architecture/Asset_System/Back_End#Asset_Representation.
Note that loading asset representations still uses the file browser backend (either directly in the Asset Browser or via the
- Store previews in
- Store preview icon-id in
- Replace all context setting asset handles with asset representations
- Use asset representations for populating the asset-view RNA collections, or remove the asset view template entirely (to be replaced by asset shelves? #104831)
- Switch UI scripts to use asset representations (asset browser + ?)
- Switch Pose Library to use asset representations
- Communicate 4.0 API breakage
Deleting a branch is permanent. Although the deleted branch may exist for a short time before cleaning up, in most cases it CANNOT be undone. Continue?