Sculpt Paint: Smoothing Strength
NOTE: This design is still under discussion and potentially incomplete.
Hard to access smoothing strength
In sculpt mode it is possible to smooth geometry or colors (blurring) directly by holding
Adjusting the smoothing strength should be very accessible.
Unfortunately the current design in sculpt mode is less than ideal.
For sculpting brushes the strength of the smooth brush is used as the global smoothing strength.
So the workflow has been to switch to the smooth brush and adjust the brush strength there.
This is not as intuitive as changing the strength of the currently active brush.
Bloating keymap & toolbar
Since Blender 3.2 we also have a paint brush within the same mode. The issue here is that the paint brush smoothing strength is hard-coded. We must add a way to control the color smoothing strength.
We could change that wit the same solution as the regular sculpting brushes, but that would mean adding another smoothing brush and another shortcut.
This unnecessarily bloats the keymap and toolbar further. We shouldn't add any more smoothing brushes unless really necessary.
A possible solution for this would be to make the smoothing strength a brush setting for every brush.
This would have the following advantages:
- We could add a shortcut operator on
Alt Fto control the smoothing strength of the currently active brush. This makes the setting much more accessible.
- Depending on if you are using a sculpting or a smoothing brush, the shortcut operator would control the related smoothing strength
- The smoothing strength can have a "Use Unified Strength" toggle (enabled by default), to optionally give each brush the smoothing strength it needs (This would need further investigation into the toggle behaviour)
Changed status from 'Needs Triage' to: 'Confirmed'
From the recent module meeting:
Pressing issue only due to missing Painting Brush smoothing strength control.
There are further issues that would be good to discuss and add to the design:
- Shift smoothing is copying all brush settings from current smooth brush called “Smooth”
- If Smooth brush is set to surface smoothing or enhancing details, this affects Shfit smoothing
- Shift smoothing will in some cases take stroke settings from currently active brush
Sculpt-Dev uses a single global slider for smoothing strength .We should try to to implement this for mesh, color and mask smoothing, with a shortcut on Alt F.
With further brush engine refactors in the future we can include settings to override the global smoothing strength on each brush. But that would be long term.
I will update the task description based on this shortly.
With some recent discussions with developers I believe this needs further discussion.
There potentially big implications on refactoring the brush engine, so we will have to revisit this topic again at a later time.
Deleting a branch is permanent. It CANNOT be undone. Continue?