Geometry Nodes 3.1 Targets #93203
Changes that we (Hans and Jacques) want to get into Blender 3.1. Some tasks may still need confirmation from others, and others might change as priorities shift and details emerge, but an initial list is helpful to make sure we stay on track.
The main list of user-visible features.
- Procedural Modelling (Note that these goals are aspirational, and depend on available time/resources/community involvement)
- Basic Modelling
- #94535 (Extrude Mesh Node)
- Inset, Fill
- Bisect/slice (Mesh based implementation is preferable)
- Selections/Input Fields
- #86913 (Merge by Distance Node)
- Smooth Design questions: Separate node for smoothing position vs. generic attributes? Field or data flow node?
- D12949: Geometry Nodes: Dual Mesh node
- Basic Modelling
- Asset Browser:
- #92811 (Support node groups in asset browser)
- Possibly show node group assets in node search menu.
- #92926 (Support dynamic attributes on instances)
- #90864 (Persistent/named attribute nodes)
- Store Named Attribute
- Named Attribute (Input)
- Remove Attribute
- Quick-expose operators Allow quickly exposing attribute names and referenced data blocks from the modifier and group nodes.
- D8286: Node Editor Link Drag Search Menu
- Allow inserting named reroutes.
- Allow connecting directly to named reroutes.
- #92967 (Add rotation attributes and node sockets)
- #92765 (2D Vector Socket Type)
- #94604 (Support geometry instances in exporters)
- Support generic attributes in exporters
- #92729 (More general "Compare" node)
- #92964 (Node to create a single instance from geometry)
- #92474 (Allow choosing spline index in sample curve node)
- #85898 (Geometry Nodes: Distribute Points in Volume)
- #88702 (Curve Deform Node)
- #91379 (Add operators to convert generic attributes into task specific data (UVLayers, etc))
- #89658 (Support previewing geometry in the viewport)
- More miscellaneous tasks can be added here as necessary
- Performance improvements
- #92963 (Instancing Performance Improvements)
- Lots of others
- D12770: Refactor: Move normals out of MVert, lazy calculation
- D13246: Nodes: Refactor node tree update handling.
- D12986: Geometry Nodes: Refactor virtual array system.
- #92825 (Refactor node editor add menu and search)
- #94193 (Curve data structures relation design)
There may still be design discussions on these topics, but not with the goal of implementing them for Blender 3.1.
- #93293 (Hidden links)
- Support hiding and unhiding links.
- Possibly show name of reroutes on the receiving side.
- Show hidden links when node of frame is selected.
- Level sets:
- Design still needs to be worked out, mainly #91668 (How to deal with multiple volume grids in a geometry)
- Generally procedural modelling with meshes has higher priority.
- Cache node.
Changed status from 'Needs Triage' to: 'Confirmed'
Also, if contributors have patches they're aiming to finish up for 3.1, we can add them here! (As long as they will fit, etc.)
Some (maybe) basic mesh operations like Dual Mesh (I know Wannes is on that), Unsubdivide (is this to be included in the decimate node?), Clip Vertices, Poke Faces, Diamond Mesh.
Dissolve could maybe be added to the Delete Geometry node?
Would also be nice to see a 2D crop for doing simple booleans on planar meshes.
I know a few have already touched on it as well but Bisect and Cross Section are some more really useful operations.
No due date set.
No dependencies set.
Deleting a branch is permanent. Although the deleted branch may continue to exist for a short time before it actually gets removed, it CANNOT be undone in most cases. Continue?