Multiresolution Issues #107118
This is a temporary parent task to gather long standing and highly problematic issues with the Multiresolution modifier.
This mostly concerns bugs, known issues and badly supported existing features and gives an overview of the most pressing issues.
New features are not part of this task and don't need to be discussed.
The intent behind the task is to incrementally fix long standing issues to fix the current experience of subdivision based sculpting.
List of Issues
- #99887 - Multires Unsubdivide freezes Blender with hidden geoemtry
- #84551 - Multiresolution - Crash when Linear Subdivision level is above 1
- #100985 - Crash on sculpt mask brush when Multiresolution modifier is copied from another object
- #85065 - Sculpt Mode - Using Mask while Multiress active = Crash
- #86114 - Multires Displacement Smear brush + Dyntopo Error
Long Standing Issues
One of the most important badly supported features is face visibility.
- #87821 - Sculpt mode: annotation and unhide conflicts with Multiresolution modifier
- #92372 - Sculpt mode: hide masked do not work when modifier enabled, but hidden part works with modifier
- #95419 - sculpt mode: invert visible hides all faces with Multires modifier
Also a high prioprity. Spikes and artefacts of details is making switching levels a bad experience.
Broken sculpted levels and other undo issues are very severe, since they are easy to trigger and cannot be easily recovered from. This also makes switching levels worse.
- #93511 - Unable to undo subdivision with Multiresolution modifier
- #79487 - Multires Level switching undo bug
- #76311 - Redo causes pointy mesh artifacts in Multires
- #76313 - Redo in Multires doesn't bring back stroke made after a subdivide
A vital feature that is not reliable and surprisingly destructive.
- #99857 - Rebuilding subdivisions with multiresolution deletes vertex groups
- #81645 - Rebuilding multires subdivisions sometimes puts some vertices at the origin
- #85792 - unsubdivide of Multires bug
- #95022 - Using "Rebuild Subdivisions" in Multires modifier on hires mesh returns an error: Not valid subdivisions found to rebuild lower levels
Face corner inaccuracies
Visibility and masking can lead is having different results in multires.
- #79319 - Transform Tools influence on Hidden Face Sets with Multires Modifier
- #79317 - Hidden Face Set Boundaries unmasked after inverting the mask on Multires Modifier
Some common workflows operators lead to severe issues with the multires grids.
- #76682 - Applying negative scale inverts multires displacement
- #76735 - Sculpt: Artifact in Multires when mirror modifier is applied
Smooth faces is overall a worse expereince and is often avoided as a result.
- #80641 - Sharp normals along base mesh wires in multires sculpting with smooth shading
Some performance issues were investigated but never fixed.
- #79488 - Multires clay brushes performance issue
Various issues, arranged by importance.
- #63581 - Textures not displayed in sculpt mode due to missing UVs (PBVH rendering, Multires)
- #94631 - Multires: Duplicating objects sets the viewport level to sculpt level
- #107102 - No visible mesh on Viewport Screenshot in sculpt mode with Multires
- #73355 - Multires: Missing updates are not communicated in the UI
- #90089 - Multires the Apply Base add to Quick Favorites can't change mesh
- #76769 - MultiRes cannot "Apply Base" when ShapeKey have been added
- #81497 - Multires: Editing base mesh creates random results on higher subdiv levels
- Reshape is unreliable (Needs report)
- Geodesic & Diagonals Expand (Needs report)
- Fairing operators (Needs report)
- Mask Extract (Needs report)
- #95665 - Grab Silhouette broken with Multires
- #88999 - Sculpt mode: Pose brush with Face sets FK mode do not work with Multiresolution
- Graying out/disabling intentionally unsupported features (Like with Remesh)
- Trimming operators/tools
- Mask Slice
- #95557 - Multiresolution sculpting broken after change in base geometry
No due date set.
No dependencies set.
Deleting a branch is permanent. Although the deleted branch may continue to exist for a short time before it actually gets removed, it CANNOT be undone in most cases. Continue?